20 January 2009

The Kiss and the Kick

Someone told me about an experience of seeing a fleeting vision of Meher Baba’s face in a reflective surface. Such experiences are lovely. I have not had any experience like that. I only feel His presence within or see Him in dreams.

I believe that often these little experiences are meant to show that Meher Baba is always with us. I say remember that feeling well, because we may need to draw strength from it in the future, when we are having a hard time. And we will have a hard time, because His work of awakening necessitates it. In the midst of difficult times, it is hard for us to feel His presence, because we are too worried or upset. So we have to depend on our faith, which is strengthened by memories of these special, intimate moments with Baba.

However, from what Baba has said, I understand that we should not give the experience too much importance. It is something significant and meaningful to us, but it does not mean that we have any mystical powers. Take it simply as the gift of His presence.

I find that sometimes it is best not to tell it too many people about inner experiences. When you hold it within yourself, it helps it to grow, like a seed. Just as you would not tell all your friends about special words of love that your lover said to you, you don't have to tell people about how Baba showed you His love. But you can still radiate the love with others.

Of course there is a time for sharing, as a testimonial to the wonderfulness of Meher Baba or to help and encourage others. We are living in a time when it is appropriate to tell others that Meher Baba is the Ancient One come again. We may want to demonstrate that Baba is alive and well, appearing to us in a beautiful vision and—more important—making His invisible, silent presence known in our hearts.

If I am honest, I still see myself as someone who is unripe and “young in His love.” I treasure the “kiss,” but I hope that I will increasingly cherish the “kick” as well, and someday know just how merciful it is.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

THIS IS GOOD KENDRA NOT TOO LONG BUT RATHER PITHY AND TO THE POINT, WITH SAGE ADVICE GIVEN OUT TO YOUR READER WITH A TOUCH OF HUMAN IRONY AND WISTFULNESS, A GENTLE ADMONITION FOR ALL OF THOSE WHO FIND BABA BIGGER THAN LIFE, AND AS A RESULT OURSELVES LIKEWISE.

Chris Ott said...

I think you are young at heart, but old in your love.


All quotes of Meher Baba © Avatar Meher Baba Perpetual Public Charitable Trust unless otherwise indicated. Writings by Kendra are © Kendra Crossen Burroughs unless otherwise noted.